Fiber-enforced, concrete like rocks have been discovered in a dormant super volcano in Italy which led scientists to believe that there is a natural process resulting in materials similar to man-made concrete. The ‘natural concrete’ was discovered at the Campi Flegrei volcano near Naples and is remarkably similar to Roman concrete which was used to construct the still-standing Coliseum, the Pantheon and various shipping ports throughout the Mediterranean.
From the time of the Romans’ Pantheon, the first ever concrete structure to present-day, concrete has been used in any number of applications. However, in the evolving world in which we live, it has become necessary to address the flaws in this building staple. Engineers are analyzing the ways in which the concrete production and design process can lessen its environmental impact and increase its infrastructural advantages. Some innovations are discussed here: http://www.citylab.com/design/2015/05/how-slightly-better-concrete-could-save-the-planet/392996/
An optimal joint configuration has been developed for concrete overlays, the panels are 6 feet long by 6 feet wide by 6 inches thick; 6 x 6 x6. This standard configuration minimizes moment axle loadings, which in turn, reduces slab curling. And so the term "ultra thin whitetopping" is out. BCOA, for bonded concrete overlay of asphalt, is in. BCOAs are one of five freshly designated variations of concrete overlay designs.
When working with fresh concrete, care should be taken to avoid skin irritation or chemical burns. Prolonged contact between fresh concrete and skin surfaces, eyes, and clothing may result in burns that are quite severe, including third-degree burns. If irritation persists consult a physician. For deep burns or large affected skin areas, seek medical attention immediately.
There are many reasons to choose concrete as your material of choice when building. We have listed 11. Check them out below!
- Concrete possesses a high compressive strength and is not subjected to corrosive and weathering effects.
- Concrete can be easily handled and moulded into any shape.
- Concrete can be sprayed in and filled into fine cracks for repairs by via the Gunting process.
- In Reinforced Cement Concrete(R.C.C), concrete and steel form a solid combination because the coefficients of expansion of concrete and steel are nearly equal.
- Construction of all types of structures is possible by reinforcing the concrete with steel. Even earthquake-resistant structures can be constructed.
- Cinder concrete can be used as a sound proofing material.
- Where strength is not a main requirement, concrete's fire-resistant, good insulation and light weight properties are major considerations. light weight concrete is advantageous.
- concrete can be pumped and hence it can be laid in difficult positions. e.g
- Form work can be used a number of times for similar jobs which result in economy.
- When compared to other building materials concrete is more economical in the long run.
- Frequent repairs are not needed for concrete structures Concrete gains strength with age.
Source: Construction engineering Blog. http://cescientist.com